Blog 1
Hallo! Ich heiße Ryan Crim. I am a Senior at UH Main Campus and I am working on a degree in early childhood through sixth-grade. my three major passions are; music, cooking, and helping others. I am an advocate for the learning and growth of children in all regards. I believe all children should be provided with the best opportunity to learn that they can possibly have. And, I hope to provide such an opportunity, in my own classroom.
Here is a link to my video: https://tinyurl.com/ryanblog1Blog 1
Here is a link to my video: https://tinyurl.com/ryanblog1Blog 1
Hello Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed watching your Blog 1 video. I found it most interesting that your father investigated further into your family’s heritage and found out, your family is kin to the Grimm brother whom wrote the fairy tales. I also found it interesting that when you learned German in eighth grade has helped you understand pronunciation and comprehension through music. Your fathers’ graduation gift, by sending you to Japan will be an asset to your future ELL students. “Experience leads to expertise” (Wright, 2015, pg. 17). “The more you can assume about the expertise that the student is likely to have.”
Hey Angelita!! Our connection to our Grimm roots was definitely a major motivation for me in my linguistic aspirations! Honestly the musical aspect of German came as a surprise to me! I have been singing for as long as I can remember but I only started to get serious about singing in high school, so it was awesome being able to apply German to a passion of mine!
DeleteHello Ryan,
ReplyDeleteYour Blog caught my attention because your father's curiosity to learn about your families roots and background. My husband also has many books and all sorts of historical items about his family, this is why your Blog caught my attention. I enjoy hearing that you are fluent and other languages not just one, this way you can and will impact other children as a teacher. In 2011, 381 different home languages were reported (Wright, 2015), by being familiarized in English, German, and Japanese you can help all of those ELL's that will pass through your class. Keep on the good work!
That's so cool about your husband's historical texts! We do not possess any of the Grimm texts as many of them are in museums. But there is a really cool one, I have yet to read, in our home county of upstate New York. It is a bible that was brought by our family from Germany. It is also on display but it has a rich historical background! I don't know if I would have the energy to pursue a new language again, but I am definitely grateful to my younger self for studying German!
DeleteRyan,
ReplyDeleteI loved seeing pictures of all your animals! I myself have a little mini zoo that consist of 5 dogs, 1 cat, and several fish.It’s really cool that you decided to learn German because of your heritage, and it’s also really cool that you were able to learn further about your heritage.It’s wonderful that you were able to go to Japan and learn further about that culture, as well as picking up more of the language. I agree on your teaching philosophy, and also believe that each student should be given the opportunity to learn! I’d love to know if you have ever visited Germany, and if you have what experiences you may have had!
Thanks Taylor!
DeleteI'd love to see pictures of your animals sometime too!! Learning German and applying it has been very enriching! And my trip to Japan has been one of the highlights of my life still. Okinawa is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I couldn't describe it if I tried.. I have not visited Germany (yet) but I am hoping too! My partner and I have discussed the possibility of teaching overseas in the future. She has some connections, as she did her student teaching for DOD! Have you visited any other countries?
Hey Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed watching your video, I as well have a heart for animals with 2 dogs and 3 cats. It really inspired me that you decided to learn your background language German after finding out that your last name is German. My family as well is German where we come from Czechoslovakia, I have always wanted to learn Czech because even though my dad's side is Czech we do not speak the language. I have never set my mind to learning the language though because like you if I really wanted to learn it I can. “The U.S. Census Bureau identified 381 different languages spoken in home across the country in 2011” (Wright, 2015, pg. 18). Thank you for sharing your video and maybe one day I can learn Czech like you did!
Hi Emily,
DeleteAnimals are awesome and I bet yours are adorable too!! Studying German and developing an understanding for the linguistic and cultural aspects of the language was and still is very fulfilling! I hope you find the time to pursue your desire to learn Czech. One benefit to Germanic languages is the similarities to English, given that it is also a Germanic language. Perhaps you could pursue online programs, there are many incredibly options out there, these days, for learning new languages!
Hello Ryan,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed watching your Blog 1 video, Iove your animal family and hope to see more of them in the future. I found it most interesting that you and yours fathers interest in your past lead you to found out about you relationship with the Brothers Grimm, How exciting! as a fellow musician I found it exciting that being fluent in German helped you understand and read musical scores better. I am excited to see how you incorporate your trip to Japan and the experiences you've gained from there in your teaching style and how it will be an asset to you and your future "ELL" students. “Experience leads to expertise” (Wright, 2015, pg. 17). Thank you for sharing your video, I cant wait to hear more about you, your adventures, and your teaching career! See you in BLOG #2
Kaila