Blog Post 4: Reflection of Course
I was not entirely sure what to expect coming into
this class. Having learned a second language before, I figured the content
would not be too difficult to comprehend. I feel like I learned an extensive
amount of knowledge from the course, however. I realize that, while I
understood the process and the steps that were present for myself, as I
developed comprehension and fluency of my second language, I had little insight
toward the vast diversity of factors that influence others, particularly
children, as they develop their own mastery of a new language.
Learning a second language is a difficult task. In
order for the most efficient learning to occur, second language learners must
be able to make connections between languages they already have comprehension
of and languages they are working toward developing fluency in. In my future classroom,
I will strive to provide these connections to my students who are learning English
as their second language. In my lesson plans, I will provide support that will
allow me create these connections for students, so that, in the event that
there is a gap in understanding, I can efficiently address it.
I am not entirely sure how to address what should or
should not receive as much attention in future classes that are taking this
course. Something I can speak on is that, in our interviews with a student and
a teacher, we were expected to address the topic of English language learners.
When I think of what ELLs are, literally anyone learning the language comes to
mind. To me, I am an ELL, my teachers we ELLs, any future students I have will
be ELLs. While it was relatively apparent that the expectation for our
interviews was for us to speak in regards to students learning English as a
second language, I think the specificity could be adjust to prevent any misinterpretation.
My older brother
decided to pursue his Master’s Degree in the field of linguistics. So, I had a
little bit of background knowledge coming into the course with regards to
phonetics. What I did not know is how enormously important it is to consider
these aspects of phonetics when teaching children. Growing up, I don’t
specifically recall learning about diphthongs, schwas, and other complex
terminology, but when I reflect on what I remember of the instruction presented
to me by my teachers, it becomes clear how they simplified this terminology to
fit the class and help me and the other students be able to understand the
reasoning behind words. We are all English language learners, especially when
we are young, and especially those of us learning English as a second language.
It has come to my realization, through this course, how important the
instruction of language is in a classroom, and why the complexity of mastering
a language must be scaffolded in a way that students can benefit most effectively.
I hope to be able to implement the strategies and methods we have learned
throughout this semester, as best I can, in my future classroom.
Hello Ryan, I particularly liked your comment about all students and even adults being English language learners. We are all continuously developing our English language, no matter if English was our first or second language. I think it is important to understand that all of our students are developing their English language, but as you said, ELL students whom are learning English as a second language sometimes need different instruction and scaffolding in order to succeed. Vygotsky identified the zone of proximal development (ZPD) as a domain or metaphoric space where children can reach a higher level of knowledge and performance with support of an adult or other more knowledgeable person. This assistance within the ZPD is called scaffolding…” (Wright, pg. 57, 2015). As teachers we will need to scaffold, especially with our ELL students. You mentioned wanting to include connections for your students in your lesson plans, I recommend becoming aware of cognates for vocabulary terms and including them in your lesson plans. I think this is a beneficial resource to keep in mind in order to help make connections for your students.
ReplyDeleteHey Christine! Thank you, I agree with you. Even if we are masters of our language we are always learning. I think this applies to almost anything in life. We should always strive to learn and find new ways of learning efficiently. Likewise, we should find ways to implement this efficiency in our classrooms so that children can benefit from it!
DeleteHello again Ryan! I agree it is important to implement the most efficient practices in our classrooms in order to help our students learn best. I think the most efficient practice for our classrooms will be everchanging. I think the best methods and practices for our students will change from year to year and from student to student. As Wright states, “All students differ in terms of prior knowledge, academic proficiency, learning styles, and sociocultural background,” (pg. 264, 2015). All of these factors will effect what the most efficient practices will be for that student or that year.
DeleteHi Ryan
ReplyDeleteLove reading your reflections. I agree with you how Learning a second language is very difficult, as an English learner for myself, I can totally understand how hard is make connections between languages I already have comprehension of and languages I am working toward to developing fluency with. From reading your reflection, I'm sure you will become a great educator in the future. Wish you the best luck.
Hey Fei! Learning a second language can definitely be a challenge especially depending on when you begin learning it! I appreciate your kind words, I bet you will be an excellent educator as well! I hope you got a lot of this class that you can apply in your on future classroom!
DeleteGood Evening Ryan,
ReplyDeleteIt is very difficult learning a new language. I know from my own experience being an ELL, there were moments I would struggle pronouncing words and understanding the concepts of the English Language. However, although there were those struggles, I was very fortunate that I was able to be placed with ESL teachers that really took the time to know me and learn how to overcome my struggles. As Wright (2015) stated, "“When teachers know their students well and understand their sociocultural contexts of their classroom, school and community, they can draw on their knowledge of language teaching and learning theories, methods, and approaches to inform their own principled approach to providing the type of learning environment that builds on their students’ strengths and addresses their unique needs.” (p. 65). With that, I am now where I am at because of those teachers and I am very thankful for what they have done in helping me succeed in my academics and my overall life.
Hi Kohleen,
DeleteI agree with you completely even though I only speak English it is very important that as a teacher you make sure you understand and get to know your students. When you build this connection with your students they build a trust with you. They open up and their confidence level boots up. I feel as if the number one thing you can do as a teacher is build that classroom community.
Ryan, thank you for sharing your reflection on this class and ELL education with us. I am glad that this class has been a learning experience for you and that you will work towards creating the best learning environment for your English language learners! I especially liked your comment and thoughts on what it means to be an ELL. I believe that it was something Wright discussed and critiqued. According to Wright (2010), the term English language learner has its limitations since all native English speakers are also English language learners. "The focus of early childhood education for native English speakers, and native English-speaking students acquire new English vocabulary and learn new genres across content areas every year" (Wright, 2010, p. 4). Even in fifth-grader, I have found many of the strategies I use for my ELLs also work for my students who are struggling with their reading and writing skills.
ReplyDeleteThanh, thanks for taking the time to read it and provide a response! I do recall reading that, in the boo, however I could not find it at the time. We are all always learning any language we strive to be fluent in. Languages are ever changing and we adapt as they adapt!
DeleteHi Ryan!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post throughout the semester! I always found it interesting on how the students with multiple language knowledge viewed this course. Im glad it helped you with your process planning and understanding how to better help your students and teach and develop the lesson plans in the future. like all of my other post the biggest thing I see students have gotten from this class is the importance of a student teacher relationship. like wright said "Knowing a student’s ethnicity and country of origin, for example, allows the teacher to incorporate appropriate multicultural education strategies and techniques into the curriculum” (p. 17)" I feel that as a future teacher we have so much more duties than just to teach, and learning who , where , and why your student learns and acts the way they do is a big part of it. I enjoy learning about students who have been through their own ELL program and offering critics and information.
Thank you for this , and I am wishing you the best in your future!
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
Hey Kaila! Thanks a lot, I've enjoyed reading and replying to your responses as well! The course certainly has helped me look at differentiation of education for ELLs much differently. I feel like I am better prepared now to tackle the task of differentiating to them, myself! I hoe you managed to get lot out of it as well, and have excellent experiences teaching!
DeleteIt is always good to hear that future teachers, like yourself, are going to strive to provide the support that English language learners need to be successful. Within a classroom discussion careful scaffolding is an essential component to a students’ success (Wright, 2015, p. 158). I believe that whole class discussion; small group discussion and partner talk helps facilitate classroom interactions (Wright, 2015, p. 159). Finding the right components and strategies for your classroom is important, because what may work for one student may be different for another. The information provided in this class can help guide future teachers in the right direction; to help facilitate growth within a students’ English language development. As you stated learning a second language is difficult and I also believe that teachers can make that process easier. Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your post!!!
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hi Nicole! I absolutely agree with you that scaffolding is extremely essential to education. And, it's true that students benefit greatly from peer interaction within the classroom. The important part is maintaining structure while still providing this support to students. Thank you so much for reading, I appreciate the input!
Delete